When my mom asked me what I wanted her to bring me once I returned from my 50 day canoe trip, my answer wasn’t Skittles or Starbucks coffee or my blackberry, it was her Tabouleh salad. I craved the fresh taste of this salad so much that I wanted it to be my first meal upon return to reality. Hence why I’ve decided to share my mom’s sacred recipe with you today, because it’s my absolute favorite and it’s ideal as a summer sidekick or an easy, scrumptious lunch…not to mention, a no brainer for potlucks.
– 1 cup bulgar wheat
– 1 cup water
– 1/3 cup oil
– 1/2 cup lemon juice
– 4 plum tomatoes
– 1/2 english cucumber
– 4 green onions
– 1/2 cup chopped parsley
– Rind of 1 lemon
– 1 avocado
– 3/4 crumbled feta
2. Chop plum tomatoes and squeeze out liquid using paper towel.
3. Cut cucumbers length-wise and remove seeds, then finely chop.
4. Chop green onions and parsley.
6. Crumble feta, add the rind of one lemon and an avocado or two (feta and avocado are optional, but in my eyes, necessary).
7. Mix and enjoy! Note: This salad is at its best after an overnight stay in the fridge.